How Much Can the Toyota Highlander Tow?
These days, drivers who’d like to tow with their vehicle don’t have to settle for a model in the pickup segment. Even well-appointed, high-tech family haulers like the award-winning 2019 Toyota Highlander have what it takes to pull heavy cargo. Whether you’re towing a small trailer or taking your boat out to the Mississippi National River and Recreation Area, this three-row SUV has everything you need. So, how much can the Toyota Highlander tow? When properly equipped, it can easily handle 5,000 pounds.
Toyota Highlander Towing Capacity by Engine
The 2019 Toyota Highlander is available with two engines, a 2.7L 4-cylinder engine, and a 3.5L V6. The former’s capacities are significantly lower than the latter’s, so we recommend upgrading if you plan on towing:
- Base Engine: With the 4-cylinder engine, you’ll be able to pull up to 1,500 pounds.
- Maximum Towing: Every trim other than the baseline receives the V6 engine, standard. With this component, the Toyota Highlander towing capacity will increase dramatically, to 5,000 pounds.
When equipped with the available hybrid powertrain, which combines the V6 engine with an electric motor, the Highlander can still tow 5,000 pounds.
Performance Features for Improved Towing
- Direct Shift-8AT: Drivers who upgrade with the 3.5L V6 engine will also receive a Direct Shift 8-speed automatic transmission. The result is that you’ll enjoy quicker acceleration and a more efficient highway drive–even with a heavy load.
- Stop and Start Engine System: With the available Stop and Start engine system, your engine will automatically shut off while the Highlander rests on the streets of St. Paul or Mendota Heights. This allows it to offer improved city fuel economy.
- Dynamic Torque Control AWD: By redistributing your engine power from front to rear, and your braking power from side to side, this available all-wheel drive system makes the Highlander more stable and easier to control, even when the weather is working against you.
Toyota Highlander: Passenger and Cargo Space
Of course, just because you can tow doesn’t mean that you have to do so. The interior of this three-row, eight-passenger SUV can be easily converted into accessible cargo space when you need it.
- Volume Behind 3rd Row: 13.8 cubic feet
- Volume Behind 2nd Row: 42.3 cubic feet
- Volume Behind 1st Row: 83.7 cubic feet
Split-folding 2nd- and 3rd-row seats are standard across all trims.
Schedule a Test Drive at Inver Grove Toyota
Now that you’ve seen how much a Toyota Highlander can tow, we’re sure that you’ll be eager to get behind the wheel. Schedule a test drive in a new Toyota Highlander or a new Highlander Hybrid at Inver Grove Toyota near Mendota Heights today! To get started on your purchase, all you need to do is contact us and apply for financing!
If you’re still deciding which Toyota SUV or crossover is best for you, explore the color options for the 2019 Toyota RAV4.
More Toyota Model Features
The 2019 Toyota Highlander is a spacious vehicle without the feeling of bulkiness. Its interior offers comfortable seating for your whole family, as well as plenty of space for your belongings. You will also enjoy the latest in amenities and technologies from Toyota, which increases as you move up the Toyota Highlander model lineup. Learn…
Thanks to a range of 2019 Toyota Camry configurations, Woodbury commuters have plenty of options to customize their drives around St. Paul. Save money and still get a solid feature selection with the base trim, L, or go for thrilling drives with the performance-focused XSE. With the 2019 Toyota Camry configurations, there’s a model for everyone….
The 2020 Toyota Corolla has been completely redesigned for the new model year, and this time around, it’s offering more exciting options and standard features than ever before! Toyota Safety Sense™ 2.0 and a new Corolla Hybrid trim level are just a couple of the additions for 2020, and we’re sure you’ll find even more…